Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Voice


Today was the first day of classes for the 2009 spring semester at UW-W. One of my professors asked her pupils to answer a few questions on our own time. These questions included "How would you describe your own voice?" and "How would you describe your voice as it reflects your personal psychological and metaphorical character?"

The first query was easy enough. My voice is rather low pitched, frequently raspy and LOUD. I come from a family of loud people. We talk loudly, joke loudly, quarrel loudly, and most of all, we laugh loudly. My family's identical chortle gets me in trouble at the least opportune moments. Laughing at a malapropos moment is embarrassing on its own. Not being able to control the ill-timed cacophony I call laughter is an unforgivable offense. My father's early career was as an opera singer. The joke is that all his progeny should have been opera singers as well, because our voices carry enough to fill Carnegie Hall.

I find that analyzing my inner "voice" reveals that even though I spend 24 hours a day with myself, it is easier to study the actions of others than the actions of, well...me! I also feel that neglecting to be aware of your inner self is an element of the human condition and do not think that it is unusual to have difficulty analyzing the inner voice. I wish it wasn't this way. I hope to use this blog as a way to find my inner voice and to aid others in their search for the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment